Sunday, January 27, 2013

Thank you, Mr. Canales

Herb Canales, long-time director of the Corpus Christi public libraries and short-term assistant city manager, is retiring.  

I want to thank him for his years of service.

I also apologize for criticizing him for his plans to close or partially close La Retama Library (which I still think of as the central library).  I am sure he was doing the best he could in a bad funding situation.  I am desperate for there to remain a Northside library for the children with whom I work and their community, but Mr. Canales recently explained to me that he would not support there being no library in that part of town, they just needed it to be a smaller one than the majestic La Retama.

Already, I miss Sunday library time at La Retama very much as well as free inter-library loan (oh, how I miss it), but I understand.  I do. 

(I am still a little mad about the unwelcoming attitude towards homeless patrons.)

Overall, Mr. Canales has been an amazing public servant and will be missed.  Thank you.

No comments: