Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Roe v. Wade Turns 40

I doubt I would ever have an abortion for any reason, but I certainly hope they remain safe and legal.  There are far too many people out there who have proved that abortion is just a slippery slope issue to them - they want to push further and further and further in their efforts to control women's bodies and choices.  These tend to be the same people who have shown an unconscionable lack of respect for the sanctity of life when poor children and people who are not white are involved.  Letting the government make decisions about who lives and who dies is just a lose-lose proposition no matter what your beliefs are - you will probably not always be in the majority.

I believe that a woman who is pregnant is the only person who should have the authority to make decisions about her pregnancy. I may not agree with or condone every decision that every woman makes, but I do not think there is anyone who will weigh the issue more carefully than she will.  Certainly not the legislatures.

I am of Lugan's folk - the People of Life and Light -  for good or ill (and it is as often both) - but that is my choice.  My body, my choice, - no one else will ever choose for me because no one else could ever care as much as I would.

No comments: