Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK Day, Girl Scouts & Training Them Up Young

To honor the memory of Martin Luther King, Jr. and renew our commitment to his message of equality, peace and service, we put on our marching shoes and marched in the annual MLK Day March in Corpus Christi today.  Our family met up with our Daisy Girl Scout troop and a bunch of other Girl Scouts and marched amidst so many people who, like us, want to support the dream of which Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke so eloquently. After the March, we helped pass out cold weather supply bags to people who are homeless, an activity that, as you can imagine, became something of a race to serve with our energetic first graders.   There were more volunteers than people coming for the bags, but it was still very nice to get to help.

At the Daisy Girl Scouts' age, their efforts to participate in community service and activism are often more symbolic than truly effective, perhaps, but I think it is all about the exposure.  The more they see us prioritizing service and activism and the more chances they get to participate, the more it will become a part of who they are, integral to their lives.

Today was a good day to train them up, to teach them that the dream of Martin Luther King, Jr. must live in all of us.  They must carry the dream into their own futures, far past ours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a different perspective. When I see kiddos serving and advocating, I feel like it is a call to the grown ups around them to up their game. I figure if the young'ns will do it, then I better show them that I value their effort by joining in.

Lone Star Ma said...

My priority as a parent is teaching them service, but that is all to the better!

Saints and Spinners said...

This is good. I appreciate Collectingyourself's perspective, too.

I am glad that my daughter has just started at the school she has. The school has social justice and activism in the mission statement.