Monday, April 27, 2009

For National Poetry Month

Having basically spent March with the Lone Star Girl feeling so yucky and April ill myself as well, I have not been keeping up the writing momentum that I had going in January, February and earliest March. Certainly, I have not been spouting poetry this month, although I have written a little. I also am somewhat less comfortable posting new unpublished writing that I intend for publication these days since publishers are getting pretty persnickety about where stuff is on the Web, a trend that troubles me. Here, then, for National Poetry Month is an old poem of mine about the Lone Star Girl that ran in a long-ago issue of Lone Star Ma. I hope you enjoy it. Seems like yesterday . . .

Cubby

Cubbies

Ten plastic baskets on a low shelf in the kindergarten hallway

Nine empty but for a paper or two
A stray mitten
A little hat

And the one that belongs to my daughter:
Brimming everyday, overflowing
The assortment ever-changing, ever-growing
Leaves, stones, palm seeds, assorted colored plastic beads
A hundred (she counted them) acorns
A paper cup, temporary home for a junebug larva,
Scribbles full of dragons and allicorns
The stuff of her days.