Sunday, June 15, 2008

An Ode To Kid K*Nex

In recently shopping for birthday presents for the Lone Star Baby, I had intended to gift her with her first set of K*Nex building toys. At the store, though, the Kid K*Nex set that cost the $9.99 that I wanted to spend looked...dinky. I almost didn't get it because I didn't think it had enough pieces and I didn't want to shell out as much money as the bigger set cost. I ended up getting the cheap set anyway, though, and I am so glad I did. She is having so much fun very carefully assembling sea creatures according to the pictures on the pamphlet that came with the set. I love these sorts of toys because they encourage dexterity and problem-solving and even engineering skills and, once kids get the hang of it and start branching out, creativity as well. Something about K*Nex seems to hold my kids' interest better than all the Leg-O sets that invariably end up mixed up in plastic bins, underfoot and rarely used after the first blush of excitement over them wanes.

The Lone Star Girl attended a week-long K*Nex robotics day-camp for a couple of early elementary school summers and had a blast building motorized K*Bots and pitting them against the K*bots of the other kids in an attempt to have the last one standing. She almost made it to the world championships, although we were quite relieved to not have to make excuses not to go to Nevada. I hope that the Lone Star Baby keeps up her interest and I very much recommend this toy.

2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

I never knew those thingies were called K*Nex. They're cool.

Speaking of toys, the place where Lucia is attending daycamp (a friend's house) has an OLD Busytown set from my friend's husband's childhood. As soon as I saw it, the memories came flooding back....

Lone Star Ma said...

Cool! LSP has a huge set from his childhood in the garage that the LSG used to play with - we called it Weirdo Town. I have suggested that he get it out again but he claims there is no space for Weirdo Town at present.