Sunday, June 15, 2008

Great Books for Kids With Dad Themes

A list in honor of Father's Day:
  • Ramona And Her Father by Beverly Cleary - the all-time best.
  • Night Shift Daddy by Eileen Spinelli - the sweetest.
  • Daddy's Girl by Garrison Keillor - very cute.
  • The Daddy Book by Todd Parr - I love me some Todd Parr.
  • The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder - even though he was a spanker, Pa Ingalls was a very loving dad to Laura and Mary.
What are your favorite kids' books about good dads?

4 comments:

natcase said...

My favorite is Midnight Hour Encores by Bruce Brooks, about a single dad (Taxi) with a phenomenally talented teenaged daughter. Taxi is my fictional dad role-model. Especially the bit where she goes horse-crazy and says she wants a horse,and so he takes her out to Assateague, where they cam on the beach and wake at dawn to the herd of wild horses thundering by on the beach. Don't teach your kids anything but the real thing. Good advice.

Lone Star Ma said...

I have never seen that one - I will have to look it up at the library today. Thanks! And thanks for coming by the blog.

Saints and Spinners said...

I loved both parents in the Anastasia Krupnik books by Lois Lowry.

Lone Star Ma said...

They were cool parents - although I could never get the LSG to read them - she was very contemptuous of Anastasia, which frustrated me.