Sunday, March 16, 2008

Memorial Meeting

We usually meet at our clerk's house, but they are away this week, so we met at my house. Easter weekend is Yearly Meeting and we had some business to attend to so that we would be ready. The main thing was that our Meeting's founder has died, something we only recently learned as she has lived out of state since a few years before I moved back to Corpus. One of us wrote a Memorial Minute for her and we had sort of an impromptu Memorial Meeting for her today.

I never met the founder of our Meeting, but I have heard so many stories. She was the daughter of a late citizen of some renown in our community - a photographer whose black and white history of our city never loses its fascination. She was a passionate activist for peace, against racism - for justice. Whenever her name was mentioned over the years, people who knew her would smile and roll their eyes, too - she caused all sorts of controversy through her sanctuary work and steamroller drive to do whatever she was called to do. Her children were involved in the landmark Supreme Court decision of Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District.

We lost our last original member who was still in town last year, my friend, and now we have lost this weighty Friend, who I never knew. Such strange times...I know we must cleave to each other and find a way through so many changes and such a loss of our living roots.

As I hold this Friend in the Light, I will strive to follow her example and heed with more courage and energy the leadings of the Holy Spirit.




No comments: