Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Candidates Woo Us

South Texas is certainly getting more attention from the primary candidates than it usually does. Hillary Clinton came to neighboring Robstown recently. It was during the school day and my school took a bus load of students but not me, which sort of upset me except that it turned out that they weren't able to get in due to the crowds. The kids were disappointed.

Barack Obama came here to Corpus yesterday. The details of when weren't released until the last minute and I was sort of hoping most of the week that I would be allowed to take a bus load of kids, but it turned out that he was speaking at 4:30, and school ends at 4, so no go. 4:30 wasn't a time I'd be able to make without taking off work, which I certainly can't afford to do any more of after recent events, so this Obama Mama (my sister gave me this phrase) stayed home. I got to catch his speech on the news, though, and see friends in the audience, which was cool.

Lone Star Pa was taking the Lone Star Girl to the Girl Scouts' World Thinking Day event (our troop represented France) from 6pm to 8pm last night. I found out that ex-President Clinton was supposed to talk here at 9pm at Hillary's campaign HQ, and, since they are both Hillary supporters, I suggested that they go after the Girl Scout event. Lone Star Pa was excited. I would kind of have liked to go, but it seemed a little wrong when I don't plan to vote for Senator Clinton, even though I still like her and will work my ass off for her in the general election if she gets the nomination. Still. And I expected it would be too crazy to take the Lone Star Baby to anyway, so she and I had a pleasant evening at home.

Lone Star Pa and the Lone Star Girl got home right after 10pm, saying they had waited a long time, but had not been able to get in due to crowds. Lone Star Pa said that they left because it was starting to get kind of rough, with pushing and stuff. Good call. He said he saw an ambulance heading over as they drove away.

2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Woo woo! All eyes on Texas. We're counting on you, Obama-Mama.

gojirama said...

hmYep, rock that vote.