Saturday, February 16, 2008

And more

My stepdad came to spend a couple of days this week also, arriving while the Lone Star Girl and I were on the road Tuesday and leaving Thursday afternoon. He couldn't come for a weekend so we didn't get to see much of him, but it was nice to get to see him at least some and he got to spend some time with Jazz and with the Lone Star Baby, who adored him. He put a gravel and sand floor in the playhouse he built for the Lone Star Girl years back so that the mud won't be a problem for the Lone Star Baby. She is really loving it. He scrubbed junk off of my toilet and stove that I had never been able to get off, even the time my dad hired a house-cleaner for my birthday one year. And this was his vacation.

My stepdad is an impressive guy. He is the only impressive stepdad I know about, as it happens - most are not only not impressive, but are definitely shitheads. Sorry, but I've been working with kids a long time and that is just The Truth. If, God forbid, anything ever happened to Lone Star Pa, I would not marry again until the kids were grown at least - it is not a safe bet, in my book. Thank God for the exceptions and that I was lucky enough to get one. My stepdad rocks. It was great to get to see him.

The Lone Star Baby enjoyed preparing Dora valentines with M&Ms for her class. She is totally jacked up on candy. Still. The Lone Star Girl navigated her first middle school Valentine's Day with no drama - what more can we ask? I took tiny chocolate hearts to my classes and received a surprising amount of candy from my students - they act like they hate me most of the time.

5 comments:

gojirama said...

It sounds like your step dad IS awesome.
You know, your students don't hate you. You are amazing!!

Lone Star Ma said...

Well, they always say they hate me. And they write nasty things about me on furniture. But then they give me candy...they are ciphers.

Farida Dowler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Saints and Spinners said...

Whoops, wrong account (and now it's going to show up in internet searches for all time)...

LSM: Does part of you ever wish for the days when students were afraid of their teachers? I imagine some days it would come in handy. Ha!

Lone Star Ma said...

Um...yes.