Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Milk Memos

There is an excellent new book out about being the working mother of a baby. The Milk Memos was written by Cate Colburn-Smith and Andrea Serrette, who met when pumping milk for their babies in a "lactation room" (read: janitor closet) at an IBM workplace where they were both employed. Several different moms used this room for pumping and they actually met on paper, before meeting in person, by starting a series of notebooks that the pumping moms would fill with the trials and tribulations of working motherhood as they pumped. The book is a compilation of those notebooks, along with additional helpful information. This book really caught my interest, both because I was a pumping mom myself and because I had seriously considered writing a book about my own experiences called The Pumping Diaries. I even wrote some of it, but not much. I think my idea was a good one, but not nearly as good an idea as a book that is actually the pumping diaries of several women, as this book is. This book rocks.

This book, along with Hirkani's Daughters and Nursing Mother, Working Mother make up the perfect survival kit for the woman about to combine babies and business, in Lone Star Ma's opinion.

No comments: