Thursday, November 17, 2005

C-Section Rate in U.S. reaches all-time high

The last thing I want to be is condescending, but it is so difficult for women who are living in the mainstream U.S. culture to get good information about what "needing a c-section" really means, as opposed to getting one because doctors are rushing or doing the CYA thing. Really, the only resources that give out good information are so hippy-dippy that they would be culturally distasteful to most U.S. moms. There has got to be a way that moms who are not home-birthing, cloth-diapering, placenta-planting types (I did none of those three things but I am the type and I totally 100% understand why mainstream America wouldn't want to listen to me) can still get decent information about how childbirth works so they don't get railroaded into major surgery that they'd rather not have and that carries risks that usually outweigh the risks it is being advocated for to prevent. I haven't found it, though. All the mainstream resources I've read about childbirth advocate methods that almost guarantee a medicated and often surgical birth, although they don't admit to doing so. I am at a loss as to how to help.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/11/15/csections.up.ap/index.html

2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Two and a half years later, I still feel twinges from that surgery. I was lucky, too, in that it healed at a record pace. Up until I had a cesarian birth, I hadn't had any surgery more major than wisdom teeth removal. While I believe that the people helping me did what they could, I wish that everyone had taken me a little more seriously when I said that I believed Lucia was "sunny-side up." Everyone thought she was in a good position to come out vaginally, but guess what! An Ultrasound is not a good indicator of where the baby's face is.

Lone Star Ma said...

The Lone Star Girl's face was also not optimally placed for birth, hence the over-30 hour labor, I think. It was only sideways, though. People who were there told me I would have had a c-section with any doctor in town but the one I had. even she said "If you can't push this baby out in another hour, I think we're going to have to do a c-section"....about an hour before the LSG was born.