Not at all.
Generally speaking, comic books have used female characters as plot devices for male character action at best and have totally, ridiculously objectified female characters in ways that make me think that geek boys might not be much nicer than frat boys after all.
Some are better than others, though, and here are some that merit mention:
- Wonder Woman: Obviously there are problems here, like the costume and all the creepy fetishism and her ridiculous jones for that Ken doll Steve Trevor, but...Amazon Princess of truth and power! I can't deny that I love Wonder Woman.
- Spider Girl: We have costume problems here, too, but this teen-aged super hero typically managed to end up bringing her enemies around to being allies and I am so down with that.
- Arana: First mainstream Latina super hero with her own book.
- A-Force: All-female Avenger-y team book.
- Ms. Marvel: First mainstream Muslim super hero with her own book.
What comic books would you recommend for girls?