Sunday, September 15, 2013

Syria And Strange Bedfellows

I have nothing but compassion for the Syrian people, but do not want the U.S. to engage in military intervention.  I do not think violence is ever the answer, although I certainly do not claim to understand the situation enough to have a viable answer.

I understand this, though:  I do not for a minute believe that there is truly a "new isolationist wing of the Republican Party".  I will accept the Paul family as sincere (in this point) when they speak against military intervention in conflicts in other countries, but these other Republicans?  Not for a minute do I believe that this is either philosophical or situational for them.  It is about one thing only:  contradicting the President.  I disagree  extremely with the president over military intervention and am totally disgusted by how militaristic he has become, but these Republicans would contradict him if he said that Hitler was a mad man.

I almost choked the other day, before Russia's diplomacy, when I heard a Republican legislator say on the radio that there were not just two choices - military action or doing nothing - but that Assad should be tried in the International Criminal Court at the Hague.  I totally agree and I wish I thought the Republicans really believed in such measures, but I certainly do not.

I hope Russia's diplomacy works.

No comments: