Sunday, June 16, 2013

Summer Joy: Water Park

Yesterday, we celebrated the Lone Star Baby's ninth birthday with a family trip to the water park where her sister works.  The water park is great fun but very expensive so I am having to be rather firm in making it clear that is not the sort of place we can go more than once in a summer (and, really, that is pushing it), which is a little hard for the Lone Star Baby to totally grasp, when her sister gets to go whenever she likes.

We stayed from the time the park opened until when it closed.  We met up with two friends of hers from school and they played for awhile.  I found myself reluctantly watching various other children who seemed to be completely unsupervised as well - water and unsupervised children is a combination that gives me the heebie-jeebies. At such times, I always think of a friend of mine who used to fold such unsupervised children so gracefully and willingly into all of her family's recreational activities that I am humbled at my comparative reluctance.

The Lone Star Baby has now gone on all of the slides there and even made me go on one of the super-high ones (twice), though I do not exactly cotton to heights.  The motion of the wave pool eventually got to her as well as the rest of us, though, and after that, we spent a lot of time going around and around the lazy river, which was alright by me, although not as lazy as I might have enjoyed as I needed to be a horse and various other characters.  It was fun to see the Lone Star Baby get her utter fill of the experience.

Definitely a summer milestone for a summer when experiences need to be packed in to the small available moments.  The Lone Star Baby says she is glad she picked this instead of a birthday party this year.

No comments: