Friday, February 11, 2011

Reading Riches

A lot of people say they "don't have time for reading anymore", but those people are not readers like I am a reader.  I have one very crowded schedule but I cannot imagine any sort of bearable life in which I did not read.  I read in bed, at the dinner table, in drive-throughs - everywhere.  I read.


I have been rich in books to read lately.  Numerous titles have come out that interest me. It is a beautiful thing.

Not too long ago, I read Ancient, Strange And Lovely by Susan Fletcher.  It is a surprise sequel to what I have always called the Dragon's Milk books but what she apparently calls The Dragon Chronicles.  The first three books in the series - Dragon's Milk, Flight of The Dragon Kyn and Sign of The Dove - took place in some fantasy-past, but this one takes place in the near future - a very, very plausible near future of increasing environmental problems.  I first picked up Dragon's Milk years ago on the advice of my favorite bookseller.  I like fantasy books a lot but only good fantasy books, and this one would have missed my notice without Mrs. Flanigan's recommendation as just another dragon book.  It was good, though, with a deeper sweetness than most such books.  The two that followed were not as good as the first but they held my attention.  Ancient, Strange And Lovely is much better than even the first.  Much.  I highly recommend it.


Also somewhat recently, I got to read Pegasus by Robin McKinley.  I had been watching it covetously at the bookstore, but it came available at the library much sooner than I thought it would.  It was very good.  I really enjoy Robin McKinley books (especially Sunshine - if you read one vampire book, make it Sunshine - I don't like vampire books - except Sunshine) except that they all sort of have the same ending.  I think that ending fit in Chalice but seemed unsuitable in her other books.  Pegasus avoided this pitfall as it quite clearly did not end - there will have to be another.  I look forward to it.


I love good, edgy YA novels and my favorite YA novel is Make Lemonade.  I have waited lo these many years for the third book in the trilogy.  It was supposed to come out last June, but it didn't.  It came out in January, though, and I have it, This Full House.  I'm so excited.  I'm not reading it, though.  It's special.  I'm saving it for when I really need  it.


In the meantime, I've been reading all the Company books by Kage Baker from the library.  I have two out now.  


Riches.

3 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

I know a few people who really don't have time for reading anymore, and even they find ways-- that's what the lock on the bathroom door is for, after all.

Hee.

Saints and Spinners said...

Hey! I got some reading done tonight. I did some stair climbing in the park for the first 30 minutes of my daughter's choir practice, and then read for the hour after that. I looooooove it that when I take the girl to choir practice, there's really no time to do anything but read a book. Yay rah.

Lone Star Ma said...

Yay!