Monday, May 04, 2009

School Closings In Corpus Christi

Miller High School in CCISD closed last week due to a probable case but the rest of the schools stayed open. This weekend we got word that West Oso ISD, one of four smaller districts in town, would close this week due to a probable case in an elementary school there. Some other districts in the region are also closed.

The rest of us went off to school today but we got word this afternoon that all of Corpus Christi ISD will be closed, starting tomorrow, through at least May 13 as Miller's case was confirmed and there are many, many suspected cases. I will therefore be home with the Lone Star Girl and the Lone Star Baby for a few days. Incarnate Word Elementary will close tomorrow, too, due to a suspected case.

I called the Lone Star Baby's school, intending to keep her out with me, and the director told me that they are closing, too. Apparently, the Health Department has been calling daycares and requesting that they close because otherwise the vector will just transfer from schools to daycare.
Many will close. I worry about all of the families in jobs with no sick leave, even though I think this is the right thing to do in order to mitigate the spread of the virus. We are so blessed that I can be home with the girls at this time.

I do mean home, too. I do not plan to be taking them around to movies and museums and having friends over. The point of the shutdowns is to avoid spreading the flu and I intend that we will do our part. Some people think that staying home and avoiding crowds is just hysterical but it is just a couple of weeks out of our life and can make a big difference.

Lone Star Pa's school, in a neighboring school district, is still open so he will still be going to work for the time being. Can't say I'm happy about that.

Stay home if you can - I understand that many can't. Stay well. God bless.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

A couple of weeks of enforced down-time might be kind of nice...enjoy!