Saturday, May 16, 2009

Girl Organizers

I went with the Lone Star Girl's Girl Scout troop today to organize the donations room for the local Women's Shelter. It was more work than we could do in the hours allotted but the girls did get a great deal done. I am often a bit distressed by how silly the girls can remain even in such serious places as the ones we take them to volunteer at, but I think that is just me not being able to truly be a seventh grader anymore, really, and not actually anything wrong on their parts. Whether their level of reverence or sobriety or whatever I'm reaching for here is appropriate or not, I think it is very important to keep them out there serving the community, as much as possible. They may not seem to see the need that surrounds them and their responsibility to help, but they probably do, and this surely is the only way to make that responsibility become part of them.

To quote my mother on the topic of teaching people to really see their fellow humans, "You just have to be f---ing relentless."

No comments: