Saturday, August 26, 2006

Women's Equality Day

Today is Women's Equality Day, the anniversary of the passage of the nineteenth amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which granted women the right to vote. Eighty-six years now. Eighty-six years.

Yesterday, I wore a sash at school that said Votes For Women and told my class about Women's Equality Day and Texas' ratification of the nineteenth amendment and how short of a duration of time it truly has been in which women have had the franchise. I take every opportunity to point out to them that they are the future world and local leaders and that they can fix any problem they choose to fix in their lives, and that Texas History is where we start to learn how.


1 comment:

Saints and Spinners said...

I love voting. If it were legal, I'd vote several times over. I miss the voting machines, though. Once I pulled the lever, I knew I had done something.