Sunday, August 13, 2006

De-Bumpering: A Poll

Before I started going up to the school to prepare my room a few weeks ago, I sadly felt the need to do some de-bumpering. I am what some people call a bumper-thumper. The bumper of my car is a primary means of self-expression for me. While my car will be in the teachers' lot where the children have no business being, I still felt it was a good idea to remove some of the possibly more controversial ones just the same. These are the ones I removed:

Abolish Nuclear Weapons
I Am A Social Worker (so as not to ruffle my fellow teachers' feathers)
Work for Peace and Social Justice
Consumption Will Not Fill The Void
Why Encourage Violence? Don't Buy War Toys (Sniff - my favorite!)

These are the ones I left on that I feel sure are perfectly fine for a social studies teacher to have:

All our Texas cave bumper stickers
Build Democracy: Vote
Don't Mess With Texas Women
That Margaret Mead quote one about a small group of dedicated people changing the world

These are the ones I left on that I thought might be pushing the envelope a little but that I just really didn't want to remove:

Peaceful Parenting For A Peaceful World
Human Milk for Human Babies


What do you think? Too out there?


3 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

A bumper-thumper! I didn't know that's what y'all were called.:) I didn't find any of them too "out there" (though really, the "I am a social worker" just had to go, right?). Bede has taken an active stance against any bumper stickers on our car, and since it is a shared car, that's fair enough. Still, I would have liked a fairy fish (like a Darwin fish, only with wings and a wand).

Triana said...

Looks good to me! And though it's sad you felt the need to do it, I do understand the need to pick your battles. Sometimes easier to go from within. ;)

When does school start for you? Or have you already? I know Austin starts today. Good luck!

Veloute said...

I think those two are definitely not too out there! Yes, when do you start?

I remember your bumper and I like your nick-name ;) I understand why you did it, too. It's too bad, though! Sigh.