Sunday, January 08, 2006

Teachers Learning Sucky Framework for Understanding Poverty

Lone Star Pa has been spending the year earning his teaching certification and, while the program he is in is well-recognized for its quality and is, I am sure, very good on the whole, he and his fellow teachers-in-training are learning about poverty from this horrible book called A Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby K. Payne. I first realized how bad it was when he was telling me how it helped them understand the cultural differences of people in poverty, like how they place a high value on entertainment and might therefore have a big screen TV even when they don't have enough money for school supplies. Oh-My-God. I kind of went off on such a skewed and ridiculous viewpoint right away, but Lone Star Pa didn't really like me calling what he was learning a load of crap, which I suppose is understandable. I have since paged through the book some more, though, and it is a load of crap. It basically teaches that poor people have different values than the-rest-of-us and that you can understand them if you understand these differing value systems. While it coats this message in the language of multicultural understanding, what it basically gets across is that poor people are different from the-rest-of-us; they make different choices, choices that make them poor and that explain these weird things about them. Such crap! Nowhere does it explain the societal causes of poverty, or even hint that it could strike people with values-like-yours. It explains a whole lot about the cruel and condescending attitudes that my agency often encounters in teachers dealing with students who are too poor to afford school supplies, school uniforms, proper sanitation, etc. It is just a lovely attitude to instill in the people with whom poor children will be spending most of their days. Grf.

7 comments:

klk said...

I think that's a book that they encouraged some teachers in our district to read as well. I totally agree that most of that is total B.S. There are SO many socio-economic issues at hand that are so far under the surface, most educators/administrators and gov. officials won't dare lift the rug. There are many reasons I got plain FED up with public ed. after so long. BUT, I will agree that many of the parents I worked with in the low income area my dh and I teach/taught in for the past 10 years do have huge tv's/cable,x-box,etc...and it would infuriate me when they didn't have the money for their kids to go to jr. college. BUT, there were also SO many kids who had nothing, and so little clothing and HUGE families and worked their butts off that attitudes like that woman's just are not COOL. Ya know?
I just don't get the way these people think...it blows my mind. They think from the top down and rarley from the bottom up. It's ridiculous. I fought hard within the system and you realize that the fighting gets you a few inches...which drains you so much...I've left it to my dh, so I have more to give my dd's now. I miss it though. I get fired up every now and then.

klk said...

Oh, and other teachers the apoliticals, the apathetics...the ones who just do their jobs like robots...they don't even give a hoot...they just show up and treat it like a 9-5 after so many years.
They treat the kids like crap. That's the sad thing.
Our district was one of the only ones in the whole nation to not require senior English. "They" didn't think "they" (the mostly Hispanic "students") needed it. "Heck, these kids are just gonna be fast food service workers." That was the attitude. We had/have a HUGE HOME EC./AG. DEPT BUILDING and my English classroom was a falling apart portable classroom. That's the worst damn thing ever. The attitude.
I'm so glad I'm outta there, when I think about the attitude...it was toxic.

Saints and Spinners said...

Do you have some good reading material to recommend?

Lone Star Ma said...

I have lots of good poverty texts to recommend, but none that speak specifically to teaching which is what I am going to need before I schedule an appointment with the program. It does not do to just complain to them until I have a better alternative. If anyone knows any good ones to review, I am interested. Some of the better American works on poverty are getting old, since our national policy has not developed constructively in decades. In The Shadow of The Poorhouse: A Social History of Welfare In America by Michael B. Katz is always a good place to start and I still favor the old Poor Support by David Ellwood. Both of these were written before Welfare Deform, as I like to call it (Ellwood resigned from DHHS in protest, as did most everyone who knew anything at the time) so things are considerably rosier in the books - and they are not rosy - than they actually are today, as most of our historical benefits for needy families have since been dismantled. There are scads of books written since that time about our more current era - none whose titles I remember offhand as they all pretty much tell the same tragic story with different women's names and different sick children, but I will look some up that I read in the past few years and post some titles. I really need to find one for teachers, though. Do you know any good ones, claridad?

klk said...

What about Jonothan Kozol's books, like Savage Inequalities and the like? I've yet to read them, but he has many new books out.

Lone Star Ma said...

Those are great books. I definitely think all teachers should read them. I am looking for more of a text for teachers on poverty, though. That is what this bad book is supposed to be, so I think it will take another textbook to replace it.

Lone Star Ma said...

Some post welfare-deform poverty books:

Flat Broke With Children:Women In The Age of Welfare Reform by Sharon Hays

One Nation, Underprivileged: Why American Poverty Affects Us All by Mark Robert Rank

Faces of Poverty: Portraits of Women and Children on Welfare by Jill Duerr Berrick