"End Poverty in all its forms everywhere."
This goal has 7 associated targets:
- "By 2030, eradicate extreme poverty for all people everywhere, currently measured as people living on less than $1.25 a day 1.2
- By 2030, reduce at least by half the proportion of men, women and children of all ages living in poverty in all its dimensions according to national definitions
- Implement nationally appropriate social protection systems and measures for all, including floors, and by 2030 achieve substantial coverage of the poor and the vulnerable
- By 2030, ensure that all men and women, in particular the poor and the vulnerable, have equal rights to economic resources, as well as access to basic services, ownership and control over land and other forms of 13 property, inheritance, natural resources, appropriate new technology and financial services, including microfinance
- By 2030, build the resilience of the poor and those in vulnerable situations and reduce their exposure and vulnerability to climate-related extreme events and other economic, social and environmental shocks and disasters
- Ensure significant mobilization of resources from a variety of sources, including through enhanced development cooperation, in order to provide adequate and predictable means for developing countries, in particular least developed countries, to implement programmes and policies to end poverty in all its dimensions
- Create sound policy frameworks at the national, regional and international levels, based on pro-poor and gender-sensitive development strategies, to support accelerated investment in poverty eradication actions."
What do you think of this goal and these targets?
What can you do to help the world reach the targets?
Please post your thoughts in the comments section.
For me, I feel like one thing I can do is to try to help disenfranchised people register to vote and encourage them to get to the polls. Maybe if a more diverse electorate actively voted, people who cared about these issues would get elected more.
I also hope to raise awareness about the very idea of sustainable development and these goals and targets in Texas and in the United States, where I live.