- Rosita y Conchita by Erich Haeger and Eric Gonzalez
- Festival of Bones by Luis San Vicente
- Uncle Monarch and The Day of The Dead by Judy Goldman
- Maria Molina and The Days of The Dead by Kathleen Krull
- I Remember Abuelito - A Day of The Dead Story by Janice Levy and Loretta Lopez
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
Wednesdays with The Subversive Children's Book Club: El Dia de Los Muertos
I believe that sharing cultural traditions is both beautiful and inevitable when you live in borderlands, but it is important to understand and respect the traditions of the people around you, not just to try to grab them and make them fit your own traditions and ways. As the Latino population in the United States grows, many aspects of the cultures of different Latin American countries are making their way into mainstream pop culture. It is important to teach our children that El Dia de Los Muertos is a much more serious holiday than the Halloween celebration with which so many white Americans associate it. I think it can be shared but only if it is shared with respect and understanding. This edition of the Subversive Children's Book Club features children's books about El Dia de Los Muertos. Enjoy!