Sunday, March 07, 2010

My Favorite Poet Came to Corpus Christi!

When I was in middle school, I took one of those summer classes that are offered to smarty-pants kids with enough money to pay for them through Duke's TIP program.  I took the classes on the SMU campus in Dallas.  In the creative writing class I took, the teacher was a Dallas poet and he taught us some techniques using the poetry of Naomi Shihab Nye (most particularly her Little Brother Poem)I fell immediately in love with her poetry and have stayed in love.

I went to Arts Magnet High School in Dallas and we had an amazing annual Writer's Workshop where writers came and did readings and workshops with us - it was crazy-wonderful.  Naomi Shihab Nye came two of the years.   So wonderful.

I have stories of other serendipitous stalker-fan encounters and very sweet rejection postcards from the Texas Observer (of which she is poetry editor) as well, but let's just say I Love Her.

Saturday night, she came and did a reading at the Art Museum of South Texas.  Jazz and the LSG and I went.  It was wonderful.  Wonderful.  My hero worship remains intact.

And she signed the copy of the book I bought!  Rather a lovely night.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Cool! I'll have to look up her books at the library.

Saints and Spinners said...

Oh, that's wonderful! I'd hoped to see her years ago in Seattle, but she ended up not being able to make it that night.

Lone Star Ma said...

If you ever get the chance, her readings are not to be missed.