Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Good-Bye, President Ford - I remember you

President Ford was the first President in the stretch of my own memory. I only remember him in the context of his race with Carter, but I think it is significant, the passing of the first President one remembers.

I have a vague recollection of a planned televised debate between President Ford and Governor Carter that was possibly cancelled or some such difficulty due to President Ford having laryngitis at the time. I remember thinking that was rather unfair to him. I was at my Grandma's house having those thoughts and I think she liked President Ford.

I was raised to be a Democrat, though. I remember my mom and my madrina dancing around, chanting "Carter, Carter, he's our man! We kicked ol' Satan in the can!" during this period. I lived at Gaslight Apartments during this time and I lived there between when I was 3 and barely 5, all pre-kindergarten, so it occurred sometime during my pre-school years. I date many of my early childhood memories according to where I lived at the time.


No comments: