Wednesday, July 05, 2006

July YA Pick: Finding Miracles

I have the feeling that I am going to be reading many more books by Julia Alvarez. Finding Miracles by Julia Alvarez is the story of a young woman who was adopted into an American family as a baby and who has tried to ignore what little is known about her heritage since she was a little girl. When a young man from the country of her birth begins attending her high school and his family is befriended by hers, all of the feelings and questions she has suppressed begin coming to the surface. She finds that she must follow her feelings and reclaim her past, the parts that are good and the parts that are frightening to her and to her family, in order to claim her own power for the future. A beautiful book. It also made me want to go buy lots of little milagros and do art projects with them. I don't know why.

2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Thanks for the book recommendation! I thought I had read one of her books before, but I was thinking of Esperanza Rising. It's a good book, just by a different author.:)

Lone Star Ma said...

That was a good book, too.