Saturday, February 02, 2013

Weather Divination, Purification and Such

I have no weather divination skills to practice this holiday of Brigid, though I hear that the groundhog did not see his shadow and I am much heartened by this.  Well, sometimes the elbow I broke seven years ago gets crampy when the weather is changing, if that counts.

For me, Groundhog Day is a gardening holiday.  It's about getting hopeful about Spring and sunshine and ladybugs, even though February is unreliable in its weather.  It is usually sunnier than January!  My New Years' Resolutions have been pretty much non-starters this January.  The girls have been sick on and off and super-cranky and everything has been way too busy and exhausting and intermittently cold.  February brings me hope for getting back on track.

I planted lettuces and spinach today in the new nitrogen-fixed salad garden.  I planted a new strawberry in the hanging garden and a bit more chard in the veggie garden.  I bought a little blackberry plant (bush?  mini-cane-thicket?).  

The history - Roman, Pagan and Christian - of this holiday seems to settle most firmly around rituals of purification.  Maybe gardening is that for me. 

No comments: