Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Summer's End/Doctor Summer

Well, in a couple of hours, summer will be over for me. I am going to take the Lone Star Baby to story time at 11, but then I have to go up to school to get my classroom in order - I've already spent some time there, of course. Lone Star Pa and I start back to work officially tomorrow, and our students return on the 25th, which is when the Lone Star Girl will start back to school. The Lone Star Baby will go to her school for "play days" tomorrow and Friday while we are at work and then her school starts for real on the 18th. The Lone Star Girl will get dragged along to lots of staff development and work days with her father and I so she can help us with our rooms and have less unsupervised time. She's not happy about that, but I do pay her.

The summer has been mainly lovely - these golden family months are like having a maternity leave every year and are such a blessing. We have been pretty busy. In the main, it has been a doctor summer. For two years now, I have been trying to get a grip on the Lone Star Girl's health, without much support from the doctors I have taken her to, who have pretty much blown me off and said she was fine, when she clearly - to me - was not fine. It seems to come down mainly to bad allergies, mild asthma and some reflux. We spent most of the summer in doctors' offices getting it all straightened out and now she is sleeping in a very dust-controlled environment, getting shots, measuring her peak flows and carrying an Epi-pen. There's still going to be some stuff to straighten out at school, but I feel greatly relieved to finally have a good doctor and some good answers and to be on the right road, even if it is probably going to take another year to see the kind of improvement that will really make her feel much better. She has not enjoyed all of the time at doctor offices and is so accustomed to feeling crappy by now that she doesn't really see the point of treatment, but I'm going to get this girl well, whether she likes it or not.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

Hi Lone Star Ma! I know the feeling of "lonely blog syndrome" but I'll do my best to read (and comment on) yours regularly! Good luck with the return to school.
(Geminimama)

Lone Star Ma said...

I'll do the same! Thanks!

Saints and Spinners said...

I am glad that you are being persistent. It's hard when the mentality is so much of the "get you in, give you little blue pills, and get you out again" kind.

I highly recommend acupuncture, if that is an option in your area. There are no guarantees, of course, but my acupuncturist has been able to help me with things that my doctor hasn't (though she's cool enough to recommend acupuncture).

gojirama said...

Finally cathing up!
Good on you in being persistant, the whole allergy thing sucks. Lovies to LSG.

Lone Star Ma said...

Thanks! Acupuncture sounds interesting, but shots are a pretty hard sell - I just don't know how she'd deal with that...

Veloute said...

Yes, good for you for being persistent! Allergies are awful :(

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I agree with you about how great it is to have summer family time. Sometimes I feel I live a completely different life in the summer.

I use the time for doctor stuff too. It's not fun but I'm grateful to have it, like you said. It's a battle to be healthy and keep your kids there, isn't it?

Lone Star Ma said...

Yep.

Saints and Spinners said...

Well, these needles don't really feel like shots. They're so tiny. Most of the time, I feel (at the most) a moment of discomfort, and then it's gone. Taking a deep breath as the needle goes in and then letting it out helps.