Friday, June 22, 2012

Ghost Pepper Mother & Child

I've been feeling restless today,  needing...something...but not knowing what.  Finally, when Lone Star Pa suggested that we make pasta for dinner, it came together for me:  I knew what I was going to do today!

I went out to the yard and picked the last red ghost pepper from my plant.  I was very excited when I bought my ghost pepper plant this year - the hottest pepper in the world!!!!!! - but it took quite awhile for the peppers to grow and ripen and, once they had, I was having that GI bleeding incident, so I decided not to eat any just yet.  I gave a couple away but left one waiting for me on the plant. 

Tonight was the night.

After the pasta was ready, I took my portion and put it in a skillet with chopped tomatoes, capers and (drum roll, please) the finely chopped ghost pepper.  I cooked this up for myself while the Lone Star Girl served regular, bland old pasta to everyone else.  Then, when we were all seated, I announced my adventurous intention and...ate some.  It was very spicy, but delicious.  I started singing my Ghost Pepper Woman song - very proud of myself, you know...and...the Lone Star Baby said she wanted to try some. 

We've been talking about these ghost peppers for awhile, so she knew what she was getting into.  She insisted.  She had her watermelon ready if needed. 

I gave her a piece of pasta that had been cooked with the pepper and she ate it and wanted to know what the big deal was.  She ate several more pieces of pepper-infused pasta.  She ate a sliver of the pepper itself.

She didn't even need her watermelon.

Methinks that Ghost Pepper Woman has been upstaged.

2 comments:

gojirama said...

Awesome! I love ghost chilis, especially in chocolate.

Lone Star Ma said...

Sounds delicious!