Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring Greening 2012

I have added a beautiful basket of pink dragon wing begonias and a really freaky-interesting-wonderful pitcher plant to the hanging garden.

I added some more lettuce and some spinach to the salad garden (and found a big bunch of volunteer lettuce in the yard that must have come up from seeds from old lettuce I grew that went to seed).


I added some bush beans to the veggie garden.

Lone Star Pa took down a great big dead hunk of our old ash tree, so we have ash tree sticks and branches everywhere, but he also mowed the yards and things are looking very nice but for the brush.

My attempts to grow veggies and salad may be small and puttering and only marginally successful, but I have a bigger, better aspect to my plan for urban farming - fruit trees!  Did I mention that Lone Star Pa got me a baby Cuban papaya tree for our 17th anniversary in February? So cool!
 We now have four baby fruit trees (fig, lowquat, lime, papaya) as well as the established two - orange and grapefruit.  I have eventual plans for avocado and peach, as well.  

And...finally... after meaning to do so for just years, I switched our electric provider to a 100% wind power company.  I'm so ashamed that I took so long to get to that - I think I was afraid they would not accept my credit history due to having heard from others that they were picky like that, but they gave me no trouble.  I'm glad it's finally done!

No comments: