Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hospitality

When I went to the Girl Scout National Conference in Houston, I stayed with my brother and sister-in-law (and their sweet little dog) who live in Houston.  It was the first time I had been to their home. They were so very nice and welcoming.  I was a little shocked by the gorgeousness and un-cluttered-ness of their apartment - it was pristine but also very warm and welcoming.  There was a guest room and everything.  It was perfection.

I could not stop thinking of my husband's poor aunt who was coming to stay at our house at that very time, in the Lone Star Baby's just-barely straightened up room with the Dora and the Madeline coverlets.  I want to be hospitable to visitors and to make them feel welcome like my brother and sister-in-law made me feel welcome, but I just don't have as much space or elegance to offer.  My house is always completely full and cluttered and there are usually a million Girl Scout supplies spilling out everywhere (two troops - small house) and some mammoth papier-mache school project taking shape in the public areas of the house.  Also, the bathtub is held together by duck tape.  And not everyone likes guinea pigs.  Not to mention the papers to be graded and all that.  And the resident peoples pile things up in every area that I clear out almost instantly. I am defeated.  And humiliated.  I hope people want to visit anyway.  SIGH.

Anyway, I had a lovely time visiting with my brother and sister-in-law.   I am so glad he found her - she is just wonderful.  I had totally spaced on the fact that our grandparents' graves are in Houston - I have not been there since we buried my grandma.  They took me to visit them and it was so nice.  I put pictures of my children and my sister's children on grandma's grave as I know she'd want to see them.  I knew they'd blow away right away, but it was like a hug, just nice.  Then my brother took us to the restaurant - The Dinner Bell -  where we ate after the funerals to buy cookies at the bakery it has.  I had forgotten that, too, but remembered when he showed me.  It was lovely.


I am so grateful for my family.

1 comment:

gojirama said...

I'm glad you had a good time. It's so easy to feel that way about our houses but remember that hospitality is more about the love than the perfect house.