Saturday, April 16, 2011

Phone Geography

As part of the downward spiral of my health and mental acuity that has been the past month or so, I dropped my cell phone the other day for what must have been one too many times, because it sustained some real damage.  It still works, but the outside display doesn't and I have to push buttons to make it do things it used to do automatically and it has a rather nasty crack through it's structure and hinge that makes opening and closing it a little more involved than it was designed to be.

Like a microwave, a phone is one of the modern gadgets that my lifestyle really requires.  So.

I called Sprint today, mentioning that my phone is sort of a paleolithic model that no one else uses anymore and I have never had an upgrade and wondered if I might be due one?   They assured me that I was indeed due a free new phone if I only will renew my contract for two more years.  

Sigh.  Done.

In the course of the conversation, the customer service representative asked me about the weather.  I told him it was very nice and that I am in Corpus Christi, Texas and asked where he was.  He said Nicaragua and that it was nice there, too - around 55 degrees which is much colder than it is here and surprised me.  I wanted to ask more - did he like his job?  Is it a sweatshop or is it nice?  How are things going in Nicaragua these days?  I know better than to be as nosy as I feel like being, though. 

Still - I am always curious.  Always.  

I hope he's doing well and that all of us working folks do well, wherever we are, in these interesting times.

No comments: