Friday, July 31, 2009

July Preschool/Primary Pick: Runaway Marie Louise by Natalie Savage Carlson

I hesitate to choose this book, that we own second-hand from my younger siblings, as one of my picks because it includes a spanking and spanking is a practice of which I strongly disapprove. It is a sweet and funny book except for that, though, and the Lone Star Baby has recently declared it one of her Three Favorite Books, so I just had to pick it anyway. Marie Louise is a mongoose who gets a spanking from her mama after a day of rather extreme naughty hijinks. She decides that her mother doesn't love her anymore (See?! Spanking is bad!) and runs away to find a new mama. All the other animal mothers have their hands full, however, and she eventually realizes that her mother does love her (questionable discipline practices aside) after all after her mother runs away from a home that doesn't include Marie Louise. They run away home together for a happy ending. I clearly remember reading this book to my siblings and enjoy the nostalgia. My favorite parts are the peanut butter and jellyfish sandwiches and Christophe's mother's tail tizzies. I also like the witch toad who says that runaways learn their lessons too slowly. The Lone Star Baby loves this book, but she thinks Marie Louise is very naughty. I think her mother is naughty, but none of us are perfect, after all.

No comments: