Sunday, September 23, 2007

Autumn Equinox

Today is the Autumn Equinox, one of the two days of the year when the day and night are of equal length...a good time to think about balance, as well as what we've harvested this year. An author I can't remember who I was once reading wrote of this time of year that our children are our most important harvest and that one day soon they will claim their own power like Persephone when she became Queen of the Underworld, so we should hold them close now. That certainly resonates with me. I can see my Lone Star Girl growing from the Spring Maiden of this past transformational year into that darkly beautiful power every day, just a bit. Last night, I Iet her go with a friend and her mother to a night-time drum circle at a funky little head shop/tea room/gathering place. I was nervous about not going with them, but proud of myself for letting her go. I watch my Lone Star Baby and remember how fast it went with her sister...our days together are short, from here the days grow shorter still...

It's time to turn away from the warm fruits of summer and inward to what we've stored - time to eat pomegranates, apples, pumpkins, squash, beans and corn and to prepare for winter. Today we are all dressing in autumn colors and, at breakfast, I lit a candle and read a story about Persephone's journey as we ate apple pie and pumpkin empanadas. We have a birthday party to attend for a little girl in our Meeting today and then we will have a supper of beans and cornbread. My life is all too hectic and I rarely take the time to connect with the earth, but that is not the harvest I want for my girls, so I am trying harder.

4 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

We shared a pomegranate last night. It was Lucia's first pomegranate, and she enjoyed eating the seed "jewels." The pumpkin empanada sounds lovely-- recipe please! I can look online, of course, but I'd like your recipe, if you're up for sharing.

Lone Star Ma said...

I have no such skills - I get them at H-E-B(:

gojirama said...

How lovely. I feel inspired to buy some pomegranate juice and read Demeter and Persephone with the kiddos. (Have you seen the Graphic Universe version?)

Veloute said...

Great post! Ah, autumn. I justs bought some various squash and pomegranate juice but the pomegranates here are not too great looking yet.