Sunday, July 22, 2007

Farmer's Market

I moved back to Corpus Christi in August of 1994 and have been vaguely aware of the Farmer's Market in a parking lot on Everhart that whole time, as the apartment we used to live in was just a few blocks down the street from it. When I lived near it, though, it was opened only a couple of weekday mornings each week and very early, and consisted of a couple of trucks that did not look that impressive to me, so I never visited it.

When I was a school-aged kid in Dallas, my mom and the neighbor-women belonged to a co-op for buying produce at the Farmer's Market in Dallas. Now that is a Farmer's Market. It is enormous, with rows and rows of trucks selling all kinds of produce..I love going there. My mom and the neighbor-women would take turns buying a bushel of produce for all the women each week. It was very cool.

The Farmer's Market here is now open on Saturday mornings, so I got up early yesterday morning and convinced the Lone Star Baby to go on An Adventure with me to visit it. The Lone Star Baby was very excited about the Adventure, but pretty grumpy when we actually were there. There were only four trucks - two with a pretty limited assortment of lovely vegetables, one with herbs, and one with a very slightly bigger assortment of vegetables as well as beans and some melons. Small though it was, I still really liked it. There were quite a few young moms and pregnant girls there buying produce with their WIC coupons - smart girls getting a good start on things, I'd say. We bought two lacy, white squash from one farmer, and we bought a ziplock bag of pinto beans, three tomatoes, some small red potatoes and a cucumber from another. The Lone Star Baby was well and truly done by then, and not even cheerful about my suggestion that we take a little walk around the area, so we left soon after that. Tonight, I am going to try to get her to help me cook and eat some papas y calabaza - wish me luck. It was a nice little adventure and I hope to go again soon.

No comments: