Sunday, May 14, 2006

Changing Gears

Well. Friday was my last day at work and now I am officially unemployed. I have entered an alternative certification program to become a social studies teacher for middle or high schoolers. I have started my evening classes and will start day classes at the end of May. I will be in classes full-time through the summer during which time I must also find a teaching job for the fall. Then I teach all year while taking Saturday classes and studying for my tests, I take my tests in December and February and, if I do well, am fully certified by the end of the school year. It is a scary change to be making. I have not been unemployed since getting my first professional job out of college. I look at a picture my daughter made in first grade that says "When I am older, I hope to follow in the footsteps of my Mom because she helps children. She is a social worker." and I want to burst into tears. I remind myself that, as a teacher, I will still be helping children. I will also eventually be helping my own children more as, after this year, we will all have summers and winter breaks off together as a family - more time than we have ever had together in our lives and a much better way to live than the crazy rat race life that my career has given us thus far. It is best for us, and I will be a good teacher, one who understands the hardships my students face and can respect them where they are at . . . but it is still hard to do this. This year will be at least as crazy-busy as life has been thus far. The program is demanding and the social studies composite test is hard so I will have to study like crazy...plus being a first year teacher will be no walk in the park, either! The thought of this year keeps my stress levels up, but afterwards . . . next summer . . . it will be good. Please wish me luck in my new adventure!

5 comments:

Triana said...

Oh wow..you're so brave!! I hope I can have this kind of courage. I want to change careers too and am on the edge of getting to do it. But I'm scared to death. Go you!!

Brad the Gorilla said...

Have you read Educating Esme? If not, It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry (and it will definitely be better than "Cats").

Saints and Spinners said...

Good luck and good fortune!

Lone Star Ma said...

Thanks, Triana, Brad and Alkelda! I'll look for that book, Brad.

Lone Star Ma said...

Can I just say, Jazz, that the above post is my favorite one ever, EVER? Thank you! I love you!