Saturday, February 25, 2006

Tiny Fingers & Wild Baby

Today I took the Lone Star Baby to a baby sign class at the recreation center near my house. The Lone Star Baby used to use a few signs but she is a talker so she has not needed them enough to bother much. I signed us up for this class mostly for fun and partly to support the Parks and Recreation Department's foray into parent/baby sorts of activities. She had a great deal of fun and did all the signs pretty well. She was easily the oldest baby there so she felt quite the little queen, I think. While she is probably past the point where it will be a big issue, some literature passed out at the class mentioned a good point I had not thought of...that baby signs can support efforts to raise a bilingual child by offering the child the same sign when saying a word in either language. Cool. After an initial effort to learn the signs, the Lone Star Baby got pretty wild, though. She is getting very wild at story-time lately, too, which is troubling me because story-time is, breastmilk and her immediate family excluded, just about her favorite thing in life. The Tiny Fingers teacher seemed unbothered as has the librarian thus far, but I worry. I hope I can get her to settle down! She would be heartbroken to have to stop going.

No comments: