Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Of Groceries, Pockets and the Patriarchy

Dear Youngish, Childless H-E-B Customer Service Associates :

I truly do appreciate the way you always ask me if I need help out when you hand me my receipt, whenever I have the monkeys with me and sometimes, worrisomely, when I do not. Thank you, but I don't really need help out. It isn't too hard to push the cart out to my car, load the trunk with groceries with one hand while keeping the other on the still baby-laden cart, then return the cart to the corral, remove said baby and go get us all buckled into the car. If you could help me unload the groceries at the house and put them in their respective places before anything defrosts while the kids are clamoring for attention - now, that would be helpful. I totally understand, however, that such a level of customer service as that would truly be asking to much - it is enough that you offer to help us at the store. More than enough ... really. There is, however, one thing that you could do at the store to make our shopping trip more pleasant: after I have taken my receipt and assured you that we will be fine, you could wait patiently while I get out my keys and zip up my purse. I do not have enough hands to do this while pushing the cart and tending to the kids so I need to do it at the check-out and I do not like the obvious impatience with which the task is met, the clarity with which you telegraph that I should hurry the hell up and get out of everybody's way. It takes us just a moment - please grant us the moment with generosity or at least with slightly less belabored tolerance if you can. I do try to make that moment shorter. I try to put my keys in my pocket in the car before we get out at the store in order to save having to fish for them at the check-out. The truth, however, is that women's professional clothing is seldom designed with real pockets, a fact which often thwarts my intentions of speed. I have always believed that the lack of pockets are a ploy of the patriarchy ... pockets are power. But there you are. Thanks again for all your help.


Sincerely,
Lone Star Ma


No comments: