Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Narnia

Yesterday was the day I was given off of work for the Christmas holiday, so we were all home together, except for when I took the Lone Star Girl to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardobe. The movie was as well done as it could have been, I think. I liked Lucy and especially Mr. Tumnus. Also, Father Christmas. I could feel the Lone Star Girl stiffening beside me when it was getting to the part during which those sexist comments are made about girls and battles in the book...but the movie didn't make them. That gives me hope that the future movies will also avoid the rest of C.S. Lewis' bigotries. He was an interesting mix...such magic mixed with such old-fashioned ugliness. I missed all his prejudices when I read the books as a child, but they were very evident to me as an adult and they were very evident to the Lone Star Girl at just seven when I read the books to her. Still, the books are just so magical. I am glad the movies are starting with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. When I was a child, boxed sets of the books began with that one, but the set that the Lone Star Girl received on the Christmas that she was seven had The Magician's Nephew first. It does come first chronologically, but I think The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is much more engaging and the proper place to start. Although I do remember seeking out numerous Smugglers' Coves after reading The Magician's Nephew as a child. We had a good time at the movie.

2 comments:

klk said...

Ironically my lovelies are listening to the book on tape right now. Eden (5), says she likes Aslan the best. I think Lucy is the most promising little girl and such an amazing heroine. I gave Eden the middle name Margaret after Meg from A Wrinkle in Time. I adore Children's Lit! Especially that belonging to the writer's C.s. Lewis and Madeline L'Engle.
The movie was indeed thrilling. We all loved it.

Lone Star Ma said...

I love L'Engle, too.