Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Fallen Leaves and Mother Guilt

Lone Star Pa told me a story about when he and the Lone Star Baby were playing outside while the Lone Star Girl and I were at the movie yesterday. He said that she noticed all the leaves on the ground and was talking about them, so he told her they had fallen off the trees. She then started exclaiming Oh, no! Oh, no! and trying to stick them back onto the trees. He explained that the brown and yellow ones were supposed to fall off and that only the green ones were supposed to be on the trees and she eventually settled down.

Lone Star Pa and the Lone Star Girl had few such solitary interludes when she was a baby. When I was not at work, she was always with me. I think I saw one movie without her (one of the Star Wars re-releases) before she was four years old. Many mothers have much more time with their babies than I am allowed, but when a mother must work away from them as much as I must, I do not think there is really any room for other separations in the earliest years. There just isn't enough time. And yet...the Lone Star Baby has spent several periods of time away from me when I was not at work, many it sometimes seems.

My feelings haven't really changed. It's just that I have two daughters, now. It's difficult. While I firmly believe that the early years are the very most crucial time in a person's emotional development and while that belief of mine causes the Lone Star Baby's need for time with me to trump everything else the vast majority of the time when I am not at work...it doesn't really do to deprive a blossoming pre-teen girl of one-on-one time with her mother either, you know? So I have had to compromise, as we all have to all the time, I know...but still. It feels at those times when I carve out some alone time for my older child that while it is right and necessary for her, it is wrong and harmful for the baby. Children are resilient, of course. I am doing the best I can do, of course. It troubles me, though...it really, really does.

5 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

It is my hope and prayer that you will have many, many years with both of your daughters. They are both blessed to have two loving, caring parents who want the best for them, and grapple with how they can make it work.

Blessings and love.

Lone Star Ma said...

Thank you...

klk said...

Isn't if funny when we question our goodness as people, how well we do at our jobs as parents, while at the same time other women absolutely adore and admire the jobs they do???!!!!

Bravo to you Lonestar...in so many ways I look up to you daily.

I hope you know this. You are a role model.

Oh, and aside...
I love your support and comments on apu...you are a true sister.
with love,
kkr

klk said...

I hope my comment makes sense. I reread the first paragraph and the tense is all over the place! lol

And to think....only a year or so ago I taught English!

Yikes!

Lone Star Ma said...

You just send him over, babe. I'll give him an earful.

Thank you!